October 16, 2011

Gap Cave

One of the early weekends in September Rick and I left the kids with Grandpa and ventured off to the Cumberland Gap Cave. It was the first time we had been on a date in a while. It was really fun to hold hands and walk through the dark together.

It is a live cave. It still has water flowing throughout and lots of bats. The cave was previously used for commercial use and then purchased by Lincoln Memorial University. The University at one time held plays and special events in one of the larger opening in the cave. Since then the National Parks Service took over the cave and has been restoring it to its natural state.

I enjoy going to caves. The Gap cave surprisingly had a lot of beautiful formations. Rick and I both would recommend the cave to anyone. The only downside to the cave is that no children under the age of 5 are allowed in the cave. I think Katie would have had a blast going with us. Sorry the pictures are blurry. They were taken with Rick’s phone in the dark.

IMG_0300IMG_0302

No comments: