July 19, 2012

Utah's not good for us


Rick and I keep joking that Utah isn't good for the health of our family. Yes my skin always dries out every time I come back to UT but this trip has been unreal! We started out with a trip to the ER. The second night  that we were here (Thursday) Brady was rocking with me just about to go to sleep. He wanted something off the floor and wiggled off my lap and fell right into the corner of my parent's metal end table. It was a pretty good gash and he wouldn't stop crying. Normally I don't worry about it but it was really close to his eye. So I loaded the little guy into the car and drove the short distance to the Hospital. About 1 mile out he finally stopped crying. I had to wait to check in at the ER and while I waited I was able to chat with a dad of another dare devil boy. His son had his head drenched on the right side with blood. He had run into/been pushed into a brick wall. Brady's little gash didn't seem that bad upon looking at his son. I considered leaving right then. I mean I still hadn't checked in and Brady was calm now and willing to go to sleep. I finally decided to have Brady looked at because it was on his face and I would hate for him to have a scar bigger than needed on his face. As I waited Brady fell asleep. I was able to see the end result on the other boy. He came out no without bandages or anything. They said that he had 2 puncture wounds not big enough for stitches or even band aids. I figured if that was all for him the were going to stick a band aid on Brady and send me home. Not the case. While we waited for the doc the nurse brought Brady a warm blanket and a little teddy bear. The doctor said Brady needed 3+ stitches. He was sleeping so I opted to have him use some dermabond (super glue for skin) instead. The doctor pinched Brady's skin together and proceeded to apply the glue. He looked up for a minute and almost glued his hand to my kid's face! geez I know it was almost midnight but seriously. Of course I had to wake Brady up during the night to make sure he didn't have a concussion. Fortunately for me I have a little baby boy alarm clock to get me up every few hours. 

Saturday Katie was playing on my parent's stairs and sliced her hand on some exposed carpet nails. My sister had a few steri strips so we bandaged her up on our way to a car show. 



Sunday we were walking out of the house headed to church. Katie slipped on my parent's front steps. They are cement and scraped a large patch on her back. We  once again bandaged her up and made it to church on time.

Monday at 4 am I woke up sick. My niece Mikayla had come to visit on Saturday and wasn't feeling well. I never touched her but by sitting across the room I ended up getting really sick. I was nauseous for about 12 hours. I started to feel better just in time for Katie to throw up in the car on the way to the lake for FHE. That was the only time she threw up. It was funny because she said she had to burp and felt bad because she threw up. Poor thing. Once we got back from the lake my mom put Katie and Brady to bed for me. Katie was in her bed and she just left Brady in Amy's bed in the same room. Amy could move him when she went to bed. Unfortunately Brady threw up in my sister's bed. Poor Amy had to sleep on the couch for the night.
I woke the kids up early the next morning to go to the hot air balloons. Katie and I were fine but Brady threw up on the way to Provo.  Crazy mom trying to take sick kids to something fun. Surprising we were home around 9 that morning and Brady was starving. He was fine after he had some breakfast. He acted like it never happened.

Brady woke up screaming one night with leg aches. Taking a bottle away from a kid results in less calcium intake. Fortunately we started him on an additional calcium supplement and he has been fine. since.

Today Brady seems to have caught a cold. Which is so fun trying to explain to him that I can't rock him on my lap while I nurse Trevor. Some days being a mom is hard.

All in all we have survived but I could really be fine if the rest of the trip was boring.

1 comment:

Dana and Greg said...

Oh this stinks! I sure hope the rest of your trip gets better with less throw up, gashes, cuts and tears. Poor family.