July 13, 2011

Just before we move…

The last night we spent in our house was definitely a  memorable one.

The night started out calm but then a storm rolled in unlike any other. The lightning was so bright and frequent that it seemed someone was flicking on and off our bedroom light. The sound was amazing too. You could hear the lightning crackle as it came down and then the thunder would shake the house almost simultaneously

I was so nervous I even pulled Katie out of bed and put her in our bedroom just so I had all the family together.

When the storm finally calmed down for a minute I decided to take some video. Remember it is during a lull in the storm so it isn’t as intense. See the video below.

The next morning we went to Rick’s parent's place for breakfast. We decided to take a little extra time and survey the damage from the storm.

6 inches of water over night can do a lot of damage. Especially when we had already had a decent rainstorm only 24 hours prior. The news reported that it was the worst flooding for the area in 30 years.

Here I was 12 hours earlier feeling bad for myself because I have to move and my families lives are in boxes. Only to have a greater appreciation the next morning for what we have in our lives. I was very grateful that we lived on a hill during the storm. We had a little water get into the garage and I was so happy we decided not to put everything in there. Can you even imagine the soggy boxes. Our property was fine and our friends were ok. Given the misfortune in the area I felt extremely blessed.

 IMG_0285 IMG_0286 IMG_0289  IMG_0291 IMG_0292 IMG_0293  IMG_0295       IMG_0303 IMG_0304 IMG_0305    IMG_0309  IMG_0311 IMG_0312  IMG_0314  IMG_0316  IMG_0318     IMG_0323 IMG_0324 IMG_0325  IMG_0327 IMG_0328 IMG_0329  IMG_0331   IMG_0334    IMG_0338 IMG_0339 IMG_0340 IMG_0341 IMG_0342   IMG_0345 IMG_0346  IMG_0348 IMG_0349   IMG_0352  IMG_0354 IMG_0355 

2 weeks later areas are still flooded slightly but most areas are cleaned up. It just sends the message home hard about the importance of flood insurance.

No comments: