(Warning: really long post)
TOMA (Tennessee Osteopathic Medical Association) held there annual conference in Chattanooga TN this year. Rick registered for the conference and we took the kids for a family vacation.
We split a house with a few friends. Ok really we split a massive house that use to be a band barracks. It was beautiful. We filled it with 6 families over a 3 day period. At one point we had 12 adults and 9 children in the house.
The weather was crappy driving down. The power was out across town but we still had electricity and no problems. The wind blew and it rained but it didn’t stop us from playing a mean game of “Totally Insane.” It wasn’t until the next day that we realized the damage that came from the storm. The following is a movie of the Tornado that hit nine miles from where we were staying. All I can say is that we were extra blessed and sometimes ignorance really is bliss.
Rick ventured off with the other students to the conference. While he was gone the kids played. Katie even got a chance to take a bath in the claw foot tub.
When the students were done we decided to check out a local attraction called Ruby Falls. It is a cave. The path was clear and easy enough that Katie walked the cave.
The kids learning the history of the cave
I put Brady in our carrier. I thought for sure he was going to be asleep in no time. It was darker and nap time but he enjoyed the cave so much he stayed awake the entire time.
Now it wouldn’t be Ruby Falls without a waterfall right. When you get to the end of the path they turn the lights on and this is what you see.
It is the deepest (most earth above) commercial waterfall in the US
We walked behind the waterfall and then snapped a quick family shot. When the tour guide turned the lights back off Katie started sobbing. She said things like; “No daddy I can’t go,” “please I want it,” “Don’t take me away,” “I can’t leave this.” Finally she said, “ I want to stay, I want the beautiful waterfall. I love the waterfall.” We had to promise to take her to another waterfall sometime in order to get her to calm down. I think she had a great time.
The next day during conference hours we joined the other girls in the house and went for a walk. It took us to the military museum around the corner. It told us about Fort Oglethorpe. It was the perfect size for our little group.
All the girls. Sammi driving with Suede at shotgun. Brinley with her dolly next to Katie and Elli & Madalyn
Rick and I elected to Join the Sowby’s for the afternoon at the Zoo. It was a small zoo, but the animals were easy to see and by the time we went to all the animals the kids were ready to leave.
These little monkeys had Katie and Brady totally engrossed. We sat and watched them for over 10 mins. Brady’s head kept bobbing back and forth as the monkeys ran from one side to the other.
Katie enjoyed the petting part of the zoo and my favorite was the carousal. We jumped on just before closing and the let us ride a second time for free. I will have to note that I tried to leave Rick’s phone at the zoo but luckily he ran back before they closed the door and was able to retrieve it.
Brady finally fell asleep. That is until the ride started to move.
We left the zoo and went to Coolidge Park down town. It had a splash pad for the kids. I didn’t have an extra shirt for Katie so she ended up wearing Brady’s sweater. The sad thing is that it fit her around but thankfully it was too short. We then walked the bridge across the river. It is the longest pedestrian bridge in the US.
That night was the last night at our house with our friends so we played a little game named Quelf.

I had never heard of the game before but can’t wait to own my own copy. In fact I just learned that they make a JR edition and am excited to buy it to play with the kids someday. Pretty much it is a game of being random. You never knew what was going to happen next. During or game there was some make-up mishaps, jewelry inventions, long list about kissing, and leap frog. I highly suggest you play!
We finally said goodbye to the house and caught a train. That is we went for a ride on the Tennessee Valley Railroad. Our train was a steam engine from 1906. Katie had such a great time. I think she was grinning the entire time. We even got to tour the train yard during the trip.
Since the house was actually located in Fort Oglethorpe GA we thought it was appropriate to get our picture at the state sign.
Our last stop was the Children’s museum in Chattanooga. Katie got to pet a T-REX and played every instrument she could get her hands on. She even completed a mini med school that LMU-DCOM was hosting at the site. She was able to get her picture taken in a white coat just like her daddy.
It isn’t everyday that you can spend so much time with your family. Let alone enjoy the time to the fullest. I am grateful that Rick was able to take some time off from studying to join us. Family is the most important thing in my life. I love my children and hubby with all my heart. I will remember the way Katie smiled on this trip the rest of my life. I can’t wait until we can do another family trip in the future.
No comments:
Post a Comment