January 22, 2010

Home sweet Home

I was sure that being home would have a calming effect on our lives and we left the craziness of bumps, bruises, and crashing things behind in Utah. I was sadly mistaken though.

Thursday January 7th, 2010 kicked our year into gear. We were over at Rick's parent's house having some dinner and watching the championship football game when the snow really started coming down. (that is for TN at least, I've seen worse) I was nagging Rick about pausing the game and putting Katie's PJ's on when all of the sudden Katie tripped and started crying. I just thought she was tried and sat there. Rick jumped up and picked her up only to find that she was bleeding. I reacted to that!

Upon inspection the "trip" included a toy car somehow ending up in her mouth and now she was bleeding because she cut the back of her mouth and her Left Top molar was now hanging down. I really couldn't believe that she knocked her tooth loose. It was still hanging and attached.

Not knowing what to do (I hadn't found a dentist here yet) we called the only dentist we knew, Kyle, Cindy's son-in-law that lives in Texas. He said that we needed to try to put it back in place and get to a dentist as soon as possible.

So there we were one screaming child and 4 adults (2 of which were covered in blood) trying to find someone who could help. Kyle said that there should be an emergency contact for a dentist with the local hospital. 8 hospitals later no luck. We called all the offices in the phone book. No emergency contact. I called a couple ladies from the ward to see if they had any information on their dentist to no avail.

Finally Rick cross referenced one of the dentist in the yellow pages to his home address in the white pages and Kevin called for me. The dentist was nice and offered to meet us at his office in Harrogate. This was around 10:30 pm.

Everyone drove through the snow and made it to the office. The dentist had one look at the tooth and said that since she sheered the roots off there was no way that we could save the tooth and he ended up pulling it anyway. He did add that we did the right thing and in a similar situation could have saved the tooth but with the roots broke off the tooth would die either way.

May I add I was very impressed by the dentist. He too was watching the game and left in the middle to help my child. Not only that, he had guests in town and was willing to leave them to venture into a snow storm late at night and he didn't charge us a thing. He was great with Katie too. He calmed her down, and patted her head long before diving in after the tooth. He even gave her a cute tooth holder because he knew it was the first tooth she ever lost. Needless to say he gained 4 adults and one child as patients for his willingness to help.

What a way to start a new year! At least any time someone asks Katie for something unique about herself she can say she lost her first tooth at 15 months.

By the way Katie went to the doctor and is very healthy. She weighed 19 1/2 lbs and was 31 1/2 inches tall. Pretty much decent height and very skinny. What girl wouldn't want that.

1 comment:

jennifer said...

poor girlie! Im so glad you all survived the ordeal! big hugs from AZ!