April 1, 2009

Fools day!

So in honor of April fools day I thought I would share with you the true story of how I knew I'd marry Rick someday.

Before I start, I would like to add that snow the first day of April really is a joke!

On this date 5 years ago I was sitting at work calling prospective SUU students when my cell phone started to ring. When I answered it was Rick. I thought he was calling to see if I'd come over after work or something along those lines. Instead in a very sick voice he asked how I was feeling. Confused I asked why. He very slowly explained that he was sick and just wanted to make sure that I was feeling alright and wasn't sick as well. (That is when I started to laugh in my head. Rick never gets sick. Knowing the date I knew it had to be a prank. He did sound convincing though.) After assuring him I felt great he replied with "good" and abruptly got off the phone. Typical Rick.

I sat there confused by the whole conversation. Not knowing if he was really sick or if it was just an elaborate joke I decided to check on him during my break. He lived across the street from campus and I could run over and see him. I thought that if it was a joke then I would catch him off guard and show up when I would normally be working.

So when the time came I raced over to the apartment. The door was opened and as I entered there he was...



truly sick!!! I felt so bad for doubting him. At that time I found out that he probably had food poisoning and really wanted to make sure it wasn't something we had eaten together. I felt like such a shmuck. He didn't even realize it was April Fools. I had to go back to work and so I made sure he was a comfortable as he could be at the time and left.

I couldn't focus at work because I was worried about him. I told my supervisor I was going to take the rest of the night off and rushed back to his apartment. I spent the rest of the night taking care of him. It involved calling his work to make sure they knew he wouldn't be in and even meeting his mom Cindy for the first time.

You see Rick and I had gotten in a fight on his birthday the week before and I was considering ending our relationship because I didn't see the point of us being together. It wasn't until that night that I knew how I cared so deeply for him. Sitting in his apartment holding his head on my lap I knew I'd spend the rest of my life taking care of him and I couldn't be happier.

Granted it took him another 5 months to come to that same conclusion but it was worth the wait.

So five years ago on this date the joke was played on me. I was the fool. Yep that corny old fool that fell in Love!

Happy April Fool's everyone!

No comments: