I went to my Dr appointment morning. During which I had my Dr check me and was informed that I was only dilated to 1 and wasn't effaced at all. This meant that I should be able to make plans and that this kid wasn't coming anytime soon. I went home and played with the kids. I started making plans for the weekend and began cleaning the office. I needed the office clean so my mom would have space to stay. I joked with myself that I would go into labor the day I finally cleaned the office because I had avoided the job for 2 months. I figured that it needed to get done eventually so I dived right in. Surprisingly it didn't take that long and I was able to get a few other spring cleaning items done as well.
That night I went to crawl into bed. I got ready and went to get into bed only to think I was sweating like crazy. Not an abnormal night time event. I got changed into dry clothes and went to get a drink only to have my water break.
Next thing you know I'm at the hospital checking in with a smile on my face because I had absolutely no pain. When they checked me in Labor and Delivery it was for sure that my water had broke and that I had dilated to a 3 over the course of the day. I still hadn't effaced at all and I was not having any contractions. So the nurses hooked me up to an IV, they gave me an epidural, and told me to go to sleep.
The next morning they started me on some pitocin to push along some contractions and by early afternoon we were ready to have a child.
Fun thing about having a baby while in medical school is that Rick got to deliver. Dr Black was great to step to the side and let Rick do almost everything. The only thing that Dr Black stepped in to do was remove the umbilical cord from baby's neck. It had been wrapped around the baby's neck twice. When it was all over the nurses foot printed Rick's surgical gown so he could keep it as a memento.
I was so proud of Rick! He did a great job. It was the only delivery out of 3 that I did not tear. I think he is going to make a great OB/GYN!
We then sat in the delivery room trying to figure out what to name the kid. No surprise there. Evidently we can not pick a name without being in the hospital first. This time instead of picking from a few names we have narrowed it down to, we chose the only name that Rick and I could remember. TREVOR.
3 comments:
Congrats! That is so exciting.
That is so great! How neat to have your hubby be the one delivering and it sounds like he did a wonderful job!!
Wow! That is amazing! Not many people can say their father delivered them. Great jog Rick! And I am glad all went well for mommy and baby. He is beautiful, Holly!
Post a Comment